Subject: Ticket Assigned - Items Missing
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2019 18:33:30 +0000

Hi Nikhil Bishnoi,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Items Missing Hi,

Greetings!

I received my order# 9764858170 which includes a frog kids backpack and
diaper bag bundle pack.

My concern is with diaper bag. Before placing the order, I went to your
store to see the bag,  its quality and its accessories and took the picture
too. Only after that I placed the order.

So the bag at store has two pouches and two belts/straps inside however the
one I received have missing items from inside.

I only receive one belt. That means another belt and two pouch are missing.

Plz find attached pictures of both bags I saw at store and the one I
received.

Appreciate to look into this and resolve the concern as I have a flight to
take in coming days.

Thank you

Cordially,
Afroz

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/368139