Subject: Ticket Assigned - Why my order was returned. Extremely disturbed
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 02:41:20 +0000

Hi asjed Hussain,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Why my order was returned. Extremely disturbed Dear centrepoint .

My order number is: 6234429204.

I waited for all these days for my order and today I'm being told that the
items have been returned by the shipper to the warehouse.
I was called last week by the courier to ask for address. When I told him
I'm in Ahsa, he said that we are in Damamm.  And he asked me to give him
the address so that he can direct the delivery to Alahsa. I forwarded him
my address by whats app. After that there was no contact by the courier
company and then I contacted their customer support.  One day after I was
contact by a number and he asked me to give address again which I did and
he said you will get your order on Saturday.  No one contacted on Saturday
until I complained to the courier again. The courier again asked me to send
him my address by whats app. Which I did again. But no one came yesterday.
Today I called the customer support and they told me that your order has
been asked to return by centrepoint. Which is extreme disappointing.
Customer took time to look for items, payed money and her correct address
is available with centrepoint and after all this the order has been
returned. And now I have to wait for days to get refund. Why centrepoint is
choosing such courier companies? It is extremely frustrating.  You should
look into this matter and provide compensation.

Regards

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1616607