Subject: Ticket Assigned - Online purchase complain & collection point
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 11:38:00 +0000

Hi Ezzaldeen Mahyoub,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Online purchase complain & collection point Hello Team,

First of all i am very disappoint when i visit Centrepoint to collect
shipment from Click & Collect point no one was there and then prayer time
came they said after prayer will start but when i came after prayer time to
collect then no one is at counter for half an hour when i ask cleaner where
is the person then he went in and collect the shipment and handover to me
which is very annoying to me how 3rd party cleaner have all the access to
process use the system and do whatever he can do with the deliveries.

Secondly, when i collect the shipment i found a huge difference in price,
Barcode: 6292366582700 price in branch is 40/- SAR but after discount there
is a label of 20/- SAR. and at store even it shows 40/- SAR after discount
20/- SAR (I reconfirmed the price from counter)
and when i purchase online it shows 45/- SAR and after discount 25/- SAR
and i purchase 4 quantity which mean you charge 5/- SAR extra on it and lie
to customer that you give more discount online.

My order # 6217838316

Can you please explain this to me why there is a huge price difference and
I will report this to the Ministry.

Thank you.
Aasim Butt
00966550293468

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1434093