Subject: Ticket Assigned - My order 6216009211 with MAX - Jeddah
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 07:11:30 +0000

Hi Ezzaldeen Mahyoub,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  My order 6216009211 with MAX - Jeddah Hi MAX support Team,

Please assist to fix issue if my order 6216009211, I live in Jeddah and I
always select MAX store in 4115 Al Amir Muhammad Bin Abdulaziz, AR Rihab
District, Jeddah 23345 9254 Jeddah for collecting my orders. This order
went to MAX store in Buraidha which is another city.

Now today I got the message that I collected the order from Buraidha Max
Store which is wrong status as I am in Jeddah and can not collect the order
from Buraidha.

Please check who collected and divert my order to MAX Store 4115  Al Amir
Muhammad Bin Abdulaziz, AR Rihab District, Jeddah 23345.

My Complaint number 1406005, please fix the issue as soon as possible.

Regards,
Sagheer Ghumro
Mob 0554849700

-- 
Sagheer Hussain

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1406031