Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order No 9625716689
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2021 09:52:00 +0000

Hi Ezzaldeen Mahyoub,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order No 9625716689 Hi

I placed this order on Dec 31st and it’s status depicts that it has
been delivered. Can you kindly let me know who it was delivered to and when
because we have not received our order.

I am scared of putting my credit card and every time I’ve done so with any
of Centerpoint outlet, there is always an issue.  Either, you do not send
me all the items that I have ordered or you send me broken things and now
you haven’t sent me my order while the status of it says, “delivered”. This
is enough of cheating.

I usually pay cash and it works the best as there is no such cheating and I
don’t have any loss. You don’t even mention about any refund or any
reference number for the damaged items. Now this is happening. I will stop
buying through your app.

I need an urgent response or I’ll have to report this to consumer rights.

Suzanne

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1957724