Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complain on Returned Items
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 13:51:10 +0000

Hi Ezzaldeen Mahyoub,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complain on Returned Items Dear Splash,

I am writing to complain regarding the returned items I requested
since last August. (see attached)

No one is calling and coming to pick it up.

I understand that experiencing a delay from your side is normal, but i
think, 4 months of waiting is no longer acceptable despite of my
repeated requests.

You can check on your system that I made a call for more than 10 times
and still nothing happened.

I keep on calling to your customer service, even raised a complain,
but no action upto NOW.

I even requested if I can drop the items to your store but they are
telling me that it's not possible.

I've been a good customer and as you can see on my records that I
ordered a lot of items with you.

I hope that you will look into this matter and resolve the issue.

Regards,

Lourdes Maglonzo
+971 544626126

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1905071