Subject: Ticket Assigned - Unable to return item - Order # 9661656597. Requesting to process this return.
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 16:37:05 +0000

Hi Algaili Abdelbagee Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Unable to return item - Order # 9661656597. Requesting to process this return. Hi ,
I ordered for a few products from Centrepoint app yesterday night, which
have been delivered  today.
 So many thanks for the prompt delivery.

However, one of the items I ordered is not my fit and I would like to
return it.
The centrepoint app didn't allow me to return this item. So I was on call
with customer service member Mohamed, a while ago.
Neither was he able to request for return for this item, from his end.
Hence I have been asked to write to *Support team* with pics of the item
which was delivered to me today and needs to be returned.

The item I need to return is "*Full length Jeans with Button closure and
Pocket detail "* ;  Colour : *Blue* ;  Size : *36* , *Price :AED 39.00*

*Attached are few pics of the jeans i want to return.*
Requesting you to please initiate return for this item and credit the
amount back to my credit card.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
Jennifer.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2589853