Subject: Ticket Assigned - COMPLAINT
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 22:43:40 +0000

Hi Algaili Abdelbagee Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  COMPLAINT Contacted
Your products have been shipped.
Hi ROWENA TARRIELA, products from order number  9766276467
<https://www.babyshopstores.com/ae/en/my-account/order/9766276467?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order_shipped_AE_en>
are
being sent to you in multiple shipments so you receive them faster.
The tracking number is 34163929865724.
<https://track.fetchr.us/track/34163929865724?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order_shipped_AE_en>

Order shipping to
*ROWENA AGUILAR TARRIELA*
villa#10, Al Dhafra, Al mushrif, abu dahbi
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Mobile: 566000617

ITS IS VERY CLEAR THAT MY ADDRESS HERE IS WITHIN THE CITY. BUT THE DELIVERY
MAN CALLED ME THAT MY PACKAGE WAS SENT TO BANIYAS AREA (MY OLD ADDRESS). I
HAVE A COMPLAINT BEFORE THAT I DID NOT RECEIVE THE PRODUCT(THAT TIME THEY
DELIVERED IN THE CITY WHILE I WAS IN BANIYAS..SO IRONIC). FETCHER IS NOT
REALLY GOOD IN DELIVERY. THIS IS MY NEXT ORDER AFTER THAT ISSUE,AFTER MORE
THAN A YEAR.. I JUST TRIED, MAY BE IT WILL NOT BE THE SAME ANYMORE, BUT IT
IS.

IF I WILL NOT RECEIVE MY ORDER BY TOMORROW. CANCEL THE ORDER. 1-2 DAY
DELIVERY?REALLY? I JUST HAVE TO BUY ON ANOTHER STORE.

PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.YOU WILL LOOSE CUSTOMER IF THE SERVICE IS
LIKE THIS. THERE ARE MANY ONLINE SHOP WHO HAVE GOOD DELIVERY SERVICE.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/391694