Subject: Ticket Assigned - Formal Complaint
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 11:52:37 +0000

Hi Algaili Abdelbagee Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Formal Complaint Dear Customer care,

I am writing to raise a formal complaint on my order is 9647158698
<https://www.splashfashions.com/ae/en/my-account/order/9647158698?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cnc_order_confirmation_AE_en>
.

I did not receive any confirmation of the shipment being ready for
collection at the store , so I had called the
splash contact number to follow up on the status and spoke to an agent
called Ahmed this morning about 9:30am and he misinformed that the shipment
was ready for collection at the store since two days ago and he informed
there was an internal error in the system which is
why the text messages were not being sent and the delivery was already at
the splash store in al qusais for collection.
So all incorrect information provided to me.

I visited the store today in Al Qusais all the way from Business Bay to
collect to find the items have not arrived, the store
staff searched the whole collection point and my items were not delivered
as I had been informed!!

I am very disappointed with the customer service I have received,
furthermore the telephone agents I spoke to are
least helpful and did not support me with my request to have the order
delivered to my home address.
They said to me on the phone there is nothing they can do.

Being a regular customer and regularly buying from your website, I don't
expect this level of treatment from the agents and I am very disappointed.

I would appreciate your support and compensation for my bad experience and
disappointment.

Best regards,
Marian Matte
 052 752 5117

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2355655