Subject: Ticket Assigned - Very bad customer service
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 12:55:07 +0000

Hi Manish Kumar,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Very bad customer service I called your customer service number with a simple enquiry.  I want to
know in which branch the below product (screen shot attached) is located so
i can see it before I buy it. She was unable to tell me store
availability,  neither was she able to tell me the direct telephone numbers
of the stores so that i could call the stores directly and ask.

When i asked to speak to a manager she ended the call.

It seems like your idea of customer service is expecting a pregnant woman
to go all around dubai visiting your stores one by one looking for a
product when that could be simply avoided by informing her which specific
stores carry that product.

This is my first experience with babyshop and unfortunately it has been a
very bad one.

If someone can inform me where this chair is available i would appreciate
it.

Regards
Effa

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2456029