Subject: Ticket Assigned - Incorrect item delivered - Order 4714105923
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:31:47 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Incorrect item delivered - Order 4714105923 Good morning,

I ordered a wooden upholstered bench online, which was delivered yesterday,
however the wrong bench was delivered. The delivery driver took the
incorrect item away with him. This is the second time that the wrong bench
was delivered, so I checked the item before the delivery driver left.

He told me to request a return via the website however it still shows the
item as being out for delivery on the website therefore I cannot request a
refund. Can you please do this? You can confirm with the delivery team that
the item was already returned yesterday.

I have attached photos of the bench I ordered and the incorrect bench that
was delivered. YOu will also see from the attached screenshot that the item
is showing as not yet delivered.

Thank you
I await your response
Keelie Wilmink
30379796

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5698697