Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order 9413714085
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 16:36:53 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order 9413714085 Good afternoon,

Yesterday (07.01.23) I placed an order online and few moments after I
received an email saying that my order is already in store.

I went to the store and they did not have my order at all and did not have
the product in store. Also I was said that it will take minimum of 3 days.

I was upset but okay I will wait 3 days.
Today (08.01.23) I received another email saying that I did not pick up my
order!

It’s actually difficult to understand when it will be in store. I do not
have time to go there everyday and check if it has arrived or not.

Please contact me when my order will be actually in store for collection or
deliver by another way.

Thank you
Olena
+971524270085

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5683651