Subject: Ticket Assigned - Dissappointing purchase
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 16:20:57 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Dissappointing purchase Hi

I am so disappointed with my last order

 SHOEMART
Le Confort Textured Derby Shoes with Lace-Up Closure
Color: Black
Size: 40 (Ive changed the sizi I receieved feom 41 to 40 from Rai branch)

The leather of the shoes is starting to tear and a piece is torn already
!!!!!!!!
Please check the attached pictures

My son wore this TWICE, he wore it on Sunday ( yesterday) morning for a
school picture for 2 hours and Monday (today) for the school day and I was
shocked when I pick him up from school with this tear leather.

Its either the poor quality, or the shoes have been stored for long time
otherwise, this shouldn't be happen, I didnt pay 20 KD for this quality. Im
really shocked because even if anyone is kicking or playing football with
it it won't tear from this area at all, and not for second time use
!!!!!!!!!

That is unacceptable and so frustrating.

I need a manager to contact me and some one from the quality department to
check this, either you get me a NEW pair or you should refund my money.

I need a reply for this ASAP please.
I  not use it until I get a response from you as I know this will get worse.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5596162