Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 16:41:31 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order Dear Splash

Please help me to understand:

On 31 May 2022 I ordered (online) (9572363664) a grey top (plain top with
round neck and short sleeves, size 28, colour grey) and was so satisfied
that on 15 Jan 2023 I reordered (9410658601) the same top (went back to the
order of May and clicked "add to basket" same price) so no error in
ordering was made!

To my surprise I received a different cut top (normal length at the back
not as the previous top that was long at the back)? Same material, same
colour, same size, same price but cut differently to the previous top I
ordered in May 22 and not the same as your picture shows!!

I do not understand!!

Please advise

Best regards
Sophia Snyman

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5597817