Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return items / bad experience with centerpoint shopping
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 16:13:07 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return items / bad experience with centerpoint shopping I oder from centerpoint App when I see the application advisement the
picture are very good and nice when I order that item after the delivery I
received damaged item and some parts are missing. It’s poor service from
centerpoint I did not expect this will happened with big largest company in
around in the world. I’m unhappy with your service please refund my money
as soon as possible.

Order # 4707578473

When I see in the app
??

After delivery received I got
??

Thank you

-- 
Visa Type : Resident permit
Notice period : 60 days
NOC : Resignation letter
Marital Status : Married

To,

HR Department,

Sub: Application for Appropriate position in your organization.

Respected Sir/Madam,

With due respect and humble submission,
I would like to inform you that I have completed
• Information technology and CAA

I have 6 years of experience as Customer service representative agent in
ooredoo qatar , 3 years of experience as IT support in a Choice Park Sri
lanka.

Hence to perform my skills, I would like to get an opportunity for suitable
position in the interest of your organization.

Kindly consider my candidature for the same. I promise you to give my best
to your organization. I sincerely hope to get an opportunity to work with
your prestigious organization and to get an exposure to use the latest
technology being used in your workshop.

I have enclosed my brief resume for your kind perusal and I undertake that
the Information given is true to the best of my knowledge. I am looking
forward for your positive response in my favor.

Yours faithfully,

Abdul Fazith

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5517388