Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return Item Issue: Order #9400437739
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 16:53:23 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return Item Issue: Order #9400437739 Dear Centerpoint Team,

I had returned a product(Maxi Floral Dress), as it did not fit me right,
with one of your pick up associate on Nov 18, 2022. I did put the return
independently from the other items that I returned under the same order
number. But the pick up associate informed me that he is authorized to pick
up all my returns together.

But due to some reason, the refund is not being initiated. I did call up
the customer service and they informed me that the warehouse did not
receive the item.

I did speak to your delivery associate on Nov 20, 2022, and he did confirm
that he did drop the dress alongwith the shoes to your warehouse.

This is his contact number for your reference: +971543499128. He picked up
all my returns together in spite of me putting the return request on
different days.

I have been a long standing customer of Centerpoint and I believe this
issue will be handled diligently.

Thank you!

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5338787