Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order no. 9401021234
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 16:43:01 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order no. 9401021234 Hi

Good afternoon

I would like to ask about my order (order no. As mentioned above subject).
I should receive it yesterday. But i received  a msg said that "we missed
you! We were unable to deliver your order 9401021234 on 2022-11-19
21:11:39, reason: Future Date Delivery. We'll make another delivery attempt
soon".

My question is when i will receive my order? And i the payment already
done as well.

Please let me know as soon as possible because this order is very urgent i
need to give this aa a gift. Thank you

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you for your understanding

Regards,

Umm dunia

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5306041