Subject: Ticket Assigned - Pathetic customer service
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:07:44 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Pathetic customer service This is to bring into your attention regards to my order No. 9587151119.
Your delivery person texted me on what’s app in the morning to ask my
building name first of all if my full address is mentioned there why would
you even ask, even if he did he said i ll deliver shortly i said okay, i
called him at 3pm to ask where my order was he said he ll deliver by 4pm I
literally left my work in half day so that i can be home and collect my
order, but since then this person is not picking up my calls or replying my
what’s app messages even after seeing them. Is this the way you deal with
your customers? Such a pathetic and poor service by max until now there is
no response from his end about my order.
This is such a low quality management and staff hiring from your company.
You literally hire anyone like anyone they don’t even value customers time
if he didn’t wanna come at 4pm why would he promised i would have completed
my full day work because of him I literally had to loose my half day work
which is worth 400aed will you be responsible to pay me that?
I need an answer asap.

Rohan
0504914096

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4906400