Subject: Ticket Assigned - Incorrect Items Received
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:34:05 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Incorrect Items Received Dear Babyshop,

Appreciate your support in this matter as I received incorrect items in 2
of my orders, kindly reference the order number’s order to the image
attached that I received and please help to resolve:

Order # 9562306004
Giggles textured slip on booties AED 12 :
“My order was BABY BLUE booties, I received a white textured booties as
seen on image”

Order # 9562306004
NUK space 2-piece printed soother (0-6 months) AED 31.5 :
“I order as image seen on order (for boys) however I received a girly
soother”

Additionally, I received the nipple shield in the first order opened and I
received the breastfeeding pillow from the second order a little stained.
(I also have a missing item - which they told me will be resolved via the
phone)

Unfortunately, I always experience
inconveniences when placing order on Babyshop App.

Looking forward to reading from you on how best to receive the items I
placed an order for, thank you.

Kind regards,
Asma Alrafi
0509099009

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4072657