Subject: Ticket Assigned - Late return request
From: Homecentre <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 08:22:02 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Late return request Dear Sir / Madam

I am writing to you once again and hoping for a reply.

I have been trying for more than 3 weeks to get a response for a return
request which I need.

I was unaware that the return time is 15 days and I thought it was a month.

Ive called, several times, emailed several times and had live chats and
keep getting told that someone will contact me.

My order number is : 8157273049

I need to return 3 x outdoor hammocks as these items are not what i
imagined them to be.

Please can u assist me and help me to get an approval for these items to be
returned.

I have been trying to get this approval for more than 3 weeks but theres
always no one getting back to me

I am happy to take a credit if a refund cannot be authorised.

Look forward to hearing from you

And for a positive response

Thank you

Kind regards

Sumayya
5032 6886

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4062077