Subject: Ticket Assigned - My order number 9522686344
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 09:06:02 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  My order number 9522686344 Hi team,

I would like to seek your help in my order number mentioned above in the
subject. While placing the order, I missed to select the delivery location
and my earlier residence address got picked up. The old delivery address
was flat no 204, Amani Residence, Al Nahda 2, Dubai. My current residence
address is as follows
Villa no 2, continental real estate villas, 89 b street, 24 C, Mirdif,
Dubai.

I tried reaching the chat help of Centrepoint how ever the response I got
was that the address cannot be changed at centrepoints end and it has to be
from the delivery Company when the driver contacts me. A driver did contact
me and I did share my address but my order is not being delivered and I am
constantly getting sms's that the delivery attempt was unsuccessful which
is true because I don't live in the said address anymore.

Can you give me the proper contact of the delivery company so that I can
speak to them directly on this or have the items send to the MCC outlet so
that I can collect it from there. The driver of the courier company keeps
saying he will deliver but he does not. It's a high value order and
contained certain essentials for my baby.

Thank you

From
Mridula

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3758690