Subject: Ticket Assigned - return for order FP102321001667 not picked up
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 04:27:28 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  return for order FP102321001667 not picked up Hi,

I had received the order FP102321001667
<https://www.centrepointstores.com/ae/en/my-account/order/9508792418#> on
21 oct 2021 and I had placed a return request on 23rd Oct. No one came to
pick up the order even after calling multiple times. Finally around 7 Nov
someone from aramex came to pick up the order. I had items from 2 different
orders to be returned. I asked him the order or the items which he was
supposed to pick up but he had no idea. He provided me with some number,
which did not match with any of the order numbers. Person from aramex did
not wait for me to confirm. I called centerpoint and then I called him back
hardly after 5 minutes but he refused to come back and pick up the return
items.

Again I called customer care and my return pickup was rescheduled. Again no
one came to pick up the return items. Then again i called on 11th Nov
informing that i have to travel for personal emergency on 13nov and that my
return be picked up before that. I received a call from aramex that an
order would be picked up but no one came.

Before leaving I again  called to inform them about my problem but the
customer care representative told me that he can do nothing other than
raise a ticket.

This was the most unpleasant online shopping experience.Please advise how
to get my money back.

Regards,
Rahul

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3454368