Subject: Ticket Assigned - Urgent-Escalation regarding wrong product picked up more than a month back
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:37:56 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Urgent-Escalation regarding wrong product picked up more than a month back Hi team,

Escalation for order no. - 9512224564

I am writing this mail with disappoint that its been more than a month that
2 products from Sivvi had been wrongly picked up by your pick up guy
instead of 1 pant and i have been following up since the day it was picked
up. Everytime i call the customer service they give me different different
info and false commitments. Once they say the product is found and will be
sent within 2 3 days sometimes they say they didnt find the product and
they are finding it and will send asap.

Because of this lack of efficient customer service from centrepoint now
even if you guys return the product to me i will not receive the refund
from Sivvi as 15 days refund policy of them is already passed now. So i
want you to give me a *voucher or compensation of AED 100* for the
inconvenience caused to me because of your careless mistake.

Also your pick up guys are so inefficient that they dont even check which
product they are supposed to pick up. Ideally one pant was supposed to pick
up and the guy picked up 2 products that too which was in a Sivvi box.

I am your regular customer and its very disappointing to see how you guys
serve their regular customer and not value their time and patience. I have
been behind you guys since more than a month now so i need a compensation
from you for your mistake.

Attached is the screenshot of the order for which the product was wrongly
picked up.

I am writing this mail as my last hope because now i tired and annoyed. I
hope you get this issue resolved and give me a compensation orelse i will
have to file a complaint against you guys and the pick up agent.

Regards,
Shruthi

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3666848