Subject: Ticket Assigned - Refund Req
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 04:40:42 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Refund Req *Greetings for the day *!

*Really disappointed with your return services.*

I ordered from Center Point. I picked up the parcel from Ajman City Center.
There's something I don't like. I have decided to return back. I have
submitted a refund request.

I waited a week but no one came. When I called the helpline, a woman told
me I had to cancel the application and I would apply again. Then I called 2
days ago. I told him I was asking for a refund but no one came. "Fifteen
days have passed," he said. I also sent an email. I said okay. She said, "I
have sent an email. They will come today." Then no one came, so yesterday I
called again, he did the same, but no one came yesterday.

If you guys can't send anyone, let me know before 6pm tonight. I will
deliver your items at Center Point Store Ajman City Center.

Please note: *I am traveling on 23rd December 2021 - Tomorrow is my last
day in the office. I will be leaving the office at 5 pm. Please send it to
anyone to collect the item. Will I not pay for it next month? As I have now
completed the whole process of return.*

*Order No : *

*9516833705
<https://www.centrepointstores.com/ae/en/my-account/order/9516833705?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cnc_order_confirmation_AE_en>.Please
check the screenshot of your return confirmation by email but no one came
for collections. *

*First Request. 5 DEC 2021 *

*2nd Request. 9 DEC 2021 *

*3rd Request. 20 DEC 2021 *

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3642639