Subject: Ticket Assigned - A return request- Order#9514870518
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 06:59:58 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  A return request- Order#9514870518 Hi Team,

I really need your support regarding the return of an item in my
*Order#9514870518.*

As I mentioned in my previous email, I was greatly disappointed with my
Order#95148705180. All the items were wrong and  returned  2 items already.

In that order, the item* Sustainable Solid Sleeveless Longline Jacket with
Lapel collar - *You can see in my order history, that I ordered brown color
but i received *black *color.

I again didn't want to take the risk of returning and not getting the
correct item. I took it to the store to exchange it. However, I
couldn't take it to the store before 14 days as I had few commitments.

I called up and spoke to an agent in the call center, who confirmed that
they can return the item  even after 14  days as a wrong item  was
delivered.

so please find attached the screenshot showing that i had ordered color
brown and i would kindly request your team to initiate a return request and
collect the item and *refund* the same as i bought color brown from the
store paying higher amount.

looking forward to hearing a positive response from you

Eagerly waiting
disappointed customer
jeena Varghese
0582569444

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3607219