Subject: Ticket Assigned - Reporting an issue with the first purchase voucher
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 04:53:54 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Reporting an issue with the first purchase voucher Dear,
Thank you for the call today to resolve the issue I am facing in using the
first purchase voucher.
After midnight, I was trying to purchase three items using debit card. It
was my first purchase and I entered the first purchase code. After one hour
I got an email that my purchase was unsuccessful. I was advised to use cash
on delivery method. Thus I tried to use COD but the voucher was no more
valid and I got an error message that this code is valid only for the first
purchase.
I thought that it was due to the COD method, so I tried to use the debit
card with the voucher and still the same error occurred.
In conclusion, no first purchase was done but the voucher was used.

Kindly find the attachments below describing the issue.
For more details please let me know.

Thank you for your time!

Best regards,
Ola Koussa

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3586316