Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 06:51:37 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint Hello,

Never have I received such bad service from an etailer.

order no 9516422376

This order was accidentally placed to marina mall abu dhabi, instead of
marina mall dubai. Once I notice the mistake, I call on the same day and I
am told it cannot be cancelled, the address cannot be changed and it will
be delivered to Abu Dhabi and wait for 14 days - even though you know I
wont be collecting it.

It is the last one in stock, i need it for this weekend and therefore
cannot reorder it as the only available one is in my previous order that
will not be collected.

I redial today and speak to another person from 'customer support', they
tell me it cannot be cancelled because it is not the day of order - if this
was the case i should have been able to cancel on my first call, which was
the day off. To top off the unhelpful call, I could barely hear anything as
your lines are so bad. I have tried with your online chat and they are also
super unresponsive and unhelpful.

This is the first time I have ever purchased anything from Splash or
centrepoint and I certainly won't be again.

Charlotte

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3497255