Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return request
From: Shoemart <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 02:19:50 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return request I have requested 2 items for return, this is my order #9510226382, but
until now it hasnt been collected.

on the 3rd of November the request was made and followed it up on the 7th
through online and i was told it will be escalated and will be picked up
but on yhe same day i received an sms that my return request was cancelled
for no reason. i agaon contacted your customer support and asking for a
reason why my request has been cancelled but couldnt even give me a reason
and keep ignoring my question.

I have to again send a request for return on the 8th  and I was told by
your customer support that it will be collected at the earliest time but to
my disappointment the items are still here and no one collected it. Its
been and almost 1 week now!!! Very disappointing and frustrating service.

Having it as my first time ordering online, i could say that this is a very
bad experience.

Gina

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3340693