Subject: Ticket Assigned - wrong offer information @ Fujairah store
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 03:01:31 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  wrong offer information @ Fujairah store Sir/ ma'am,

This is regarding a bad shopping experience I had at the Max showroom, al
Madhab Fujairah. I was looking for clogs for my son on 13 October and so I
was happy to find the clog I wanted was on offer. sadly later, your cash
counter staff informed me the size my son needs 'size 21' is not on offer.
I could not understand why just size 21 was not on offer when all other
sizes of the same series clog were on offer. also, you can see the offer
tag seemingly removed from the size I wanted.( photos attached). I am a
customer of max at least for 6 years and I have never come to an offer
across SIZES. usually, the offer is for across items.

I also had a similar experience at the store one month ago. the same clogs
in the same design were labelled on offer then. your cash counter staff
informed me the staff put the offer label by mistake and removed the tag.

I really feel disappointed about this and request a look into this issue
and clarification

yours faithfully
Muhammed Mansoor
0567929659

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3258639