Subject: Ticket Assigned - received wrong items for order 6247692932
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 07:49:41 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  received wrong items for order 6247692932 Dear Sir Madam,

Hope you’re doing well

I’m writing to you regarding the order number 6247692932

I ordered baby bed brown colour. But I found today I did open the boxes to
install the bed and I was shocked when I found that some of the parts/boxes
in brown and the others in colour (white). The delivered bed not totally
brown as in your website. It is mixed brown and white. See the attached
picture.

Also, I found that the order included installation but they just delivered
close boxes without installation.

I don’t really understand how they delivered parts for two different orders
to us. And how they did mixed this boxes/colour!!!

Could you please send the right order to us and please do the installation,
which was included with the order

Thanks

Dr Wafa Almegewly
-- 

*Ms. Wafa AL-Megewl, PhDFaculty of Nursing Princess Noura Bint Abdul Rahman
University *

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3202176