Subject: Ticket Assigned - Orde 9692796007 returned - Awaiting refund
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 01:04:23 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Orde 9692796007 returned - Awaiting refund Hi,

I had ordered 7 items in order number 9692796007 out of which I booked a
return for 5 items amounting to AED 180 as I had ordered the wrong size and
wanted to return it. I had booked the return and it was picked up by your
staff after 2 days of collecting the order. On asking your staff if they
require any signature or acknowledgement they said its not required and
Splash being a renowned brand and having good shopping experience we didn't
question the person who picked up the return. Now it's been over 10 days
I'm awaiting the refund or any information from your end. I contacted your
customer service agents several times and they were really helpful and
acknowledged that the order was picked up by your staff.

I also received an email asking me to state the MAX order number that I
returned. How does MAX come into the picture? When I have ordered from
Splash.

I have always been a happy shopper of Splash store and online shopping. But
this was a very disappointing experience for me.

Please, just if you can inform me if I'm going to get a refund or no? I
would really appreciate it. I'm fed up of waiting for the refund and
contacting you. So I just want a clear picture now, so that I'm sure of
what to expect from your end.

Thanks.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3136176