Subject: Ticket Assigned - ORDER NUMBER : 8288015253 - RETURN & REFUND (REVERT IMMEDIATELY - TOP PRIORITY)
From: Homecentre <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 02:45:44 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  ORDER NUMBER : 8288015253 - RETURN & REFUND (REVERT IMMEDIATELY - TOP PRIORITY) Dear Team,

This is to bring to your notice our concern regarding the return and refund
of the online items purchased from homecentre.
We ordered a 2 seater sofa and 2 arm chairs. We want to return the 2 arm
chairs.
We had received the delivery of the attached items on 23 August 2021.
However we were not satisfied with them.

Ever since then we have been trying to reach your call centre but in vain.
We visited the home centre outlet in Alrai and spoke to Mr. Ismail
(Manager). Since we didn't receive any updates we later visited the head
office in Salmiya. We were assured to receive a call back from the team but
in vain.

We have tried all possible ways to contact you to have the 2 arm chairs
taken back and provide us with the refund.
*However the DELAY is from your side and this is not acceptable.*

*Kindly have the 2 armchairs taken back and provide us with the refund
immediately. We are in no fault and the delay is due to your lack of
responsibility to revert to us. *

AWAITING YOUR SOONEST REVERT IN THIS MATTER.

-- 

Regards,

Sharon Gonsalves, Office Administrator
Ali AlQattan Architects
[email-masked]
+965 977 59 59 6

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3039051