Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint #1717941: Order #9614960960
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 02:08:49 +0000

Hi Mohammad Tawfik Ali Naji Musaed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint #1717941: Order #9614960960 Dear Sirs,

On 17th Nov 2020 I placed an order online on your website and I paid for it
with my debit card (AED 29.15 and free delivery).
https://www.centrepointstores.com/ae/en/my-account/order/9614960960
Order #9614960960.
While on your website it says that order was delivered on 19-Nov-2020, did
not receive this order till now. Nobody contacted me about it.

I called your call center on 19-Nov-2020 at 21:11 PM and logged a complaint
#1717941. Your employee promised me that Centerpoint will call me in 3-5
days, but nobody called me till now, today is 8th Dec 2020, it has been 20
days since I logged a complaint.

Please either deliver my order, or return my money back. I tried to call
your call center many times, your number 800-6927 is un reachable, or it is
always busy.

You can contact me at my mobile +971502645405, and the same details are
mentioned in my customer profile at
https://www.centrepointstores.com/ae/en/my-account/order/9614960960
-- 
Best regards,
Kateryna Yukhymchuk
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Mob +97 150 2645405

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1848114