Subject: Ticket Assigned -
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 09:09:46 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.   To whom it may concern

Im writing to express my dissatisfaction about your services. My case
concerning order number 9798477007 has not been resolved yet. I made
countless efforts to return 2 products both instore and online but i have
not found the centrepoint team helpful.

Below is the picture of the items i would like to return. The first one is
a set of briefs and bra, i ordered size 32B but size 36B was delivered. Now
im left with no choice except to throw it away because its a very big size
for me and the centrepoint team does not want me to return it. The second
one was supposed to be a set of bra and briefs but only the bra was
delivered to me (its an incomplete delivery). Im am extremely dissapointed
by your services. Please send your courier guys to collect the items and
refund me please

Yours
Unsatisfied customer

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Sophiona Marova <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 13:43
Subject:
To: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>

Hi. I ordered some items online but one item was not delivered and on the
other one the wrong size was delivered. May i please have a replacement. My
order number is 9798477007. attached is a picture of the items

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1498014