Subject: Ticket Assigned - 8201752763
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 16:14:17 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  8201752763 Dear All !!!!
I don't know what to say actually after our long story and calls and emails
!!!
Two times make cancellation from your side regarding to your bad system
that or what ever ... and last week take the money from knet and no order
number or notification that you cut the money ...
Now ...
After long story start August 19 you sent me a voucher with 2.8 KD instead
of my credit that take by mistake then i use it for another order ... then
the size not ok so i go to change then it gives only 500 fils ... item
price that i pay 2.9 KD ... so .... !!!
That voucher you give me to use is not a guft ... it was my credit that i
pay before to buy item that you cancel from your side !!!
I get tired really !!!!
What time this finish !!!
Check my order history abd my credit!!!
  بالعربى بقى ...
اخرتها ايه معاكم !!!

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1472718