Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order Number 9797947880
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 05:54:43 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order Number 9797947880 Dear Team,

Im Hashim MT from Al Ain, My order Number 9797947880
<https://www.centrepointstores.com/ae/en/my-account/order/9797947880?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cnc_collection_thank_you_AE_en>
.

I have some suggestions i want to mentioned with your Management that im
faced while collecting the Order:

*I Collected my Ordered Item from Bawadi Mall Centerpoint*, There was a
special Line for Online Collection / Exchange, but i waited there no
response i got from there Counter. Then I checked with One lady at the
counter  about im here for Collecting Online Order. She was the attender of
the Online Collection Counter. She wont accept and request. Ontime Online
Counter was free too, But they wont allow me. I'm standing with a
Newborn Baby in the Counter.

When I understood there was no response from Counter, I requested my Wife
to be in Normal Line to collect the Order.

This kind of irresponsible attitude is not acceptable, I'm
not complaining the counter staff, your management should arrange a special
line for Online/Exchange. I can see the  Online/Exchange Counter, but i
don't get the Service.

Totally dissatisfied !!

Best Regards,
Hashim MT

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1443707