Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order No. 6218627149 --- Missing Items
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 04:31:18 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order No. 6218627149 --- Missing Items *Dear Max Fashion, *

Greetings,

I would like to thank you for the great shopping experience you provide
through your amazing phone app and website.

Many thanks for delivering the package before the scheduled date. I have
purchased these products as a gift for my wife, and since I received the
order early, I managed to surprise my wife with these gifts as I planned.

*However, *upon the receipt of my order, I noticed missing items within
this package. As per the "Embellished Beanie Cap and Glove" I have only
received the Beanie Cap *without the gloves.*

I would be more thankful if the missing items could be delivered as well.

For your reference, attached here, a photo of the products once it has been
received.

Since I had a great experience shopping with you, I would like to go
through your amazing website and the remarkable products you provide to
make new purchases in the future.

Thanking you with best regards,

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1434441