Subject: Ticket Assigned - 9791157435- Urgent Delivery by 12th Jul 2020
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 06:57:22 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  9791157435- Urgent Delivery by 12th Jul 2020 Dear Team,

Please note i have placed an order under 9791157435 and by the time i
placed the delivery was showing on 9th Jul 2020.

This is an urgent delivery, which need to be done asap as it's for a new
born baby and they are flying to India on 13th Jul 2020.

I have ordered this online in order to make sure that she will receive it
on time.

I have talked to your customer service line on the given below dates and i
was informed that escalation will happened and they have already wrote to
the relevant parties.not only me ,receiver also has called several times.

08th July 2020- I was informed mail will be sent.

09th July 2020- I have talked to an agent called Yeman  at 5.45pm and he
gave the  reference 008536492 for me.

11th Jul 2020- I have tallked to an agent called Mohamoud and he informed
the given reference was wrong and he will send an email on this.

I requested him to send me the ticket number in a email so i have the
written confirmation. Your agent refused to send it and told that mail
system was down at the moment and he also dont have access.

I requested you to go through the call and take necessary actions against
your staff as he was very unprofessional and keep him self 8 to 10 minutes
silent when I'm talking to him.

He just disrespected the customer. He also refused to give his staff ID or
his full name in order to high light about his manner of handling the
call..After kept silence and without responding and informing to the
customer Mr.Mahomud transfer my line to the hotline again and where his
intension was for me to hang up on this call.

I am really disappointed of your customer care and they just misleading the
customer without doing proper escalation on the calls.

I hope necessary actions will taken on the particular agents.

My main concern is the delivery which should happen today it self.because
it's the 6th date from the order placed date.

Please make sure to deliver it before EOD  and I eagerly waiting for a
response from your end asap.

Thank you,
-M.I.Attanayake-

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1297969