Subject: Ticket Assigned - Damaged items return and replace
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 07:12:11 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Damaged items return and replace  Dear team I have ordered lunchbox in online,  I have collected yesterday
9pm at sharjah City Centre branch.

While open the my delivery bag, in that one lunchbox wings broken and no
spoon and fork  , we are very disappointed is it likely packaging and
delivery??

Please advise to return and replace ASAP.

My order number: 9788893959

Damaged item below.

Mustang Printed Lunchbox with Spoon and Fork

As discussed please find attached images for damaged box which we received.
and no spoon and fork inside the box.

Please check and advise.

pickup address:

B.Chandrasekhararao
c/o EVERSENDAI ENGINEERING LLC
29th Floor, Vision Tower, Business Bay
Dubai , UAE
+971 56 508 5605

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1263849