Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order 6496921904 not delivered yet
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 09:00:45 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order 6496921904 not delivered yet Hi

I placed an order ( 6496921904 ) June 4  which was shipped June 7. I still
have not received my items even though on June 11, I got a call from a
courier saying he is coming to deliver my order and needs my iqama number
Whatsapped to him. I told him that this is not normal practice and I am not
comfortable sending him my iqama id over the phone. I understand that
couriers need to see an iqama for identification upon delivery but never
has a courier asked me to send it to him over the phone before he has even
come to my door with the package. He did not deliver my package. I have
called Centrepoint twice since updating them what happened and  asking them
an update on my package and I have been told both times the package will
arrive in 1-2 days which hasn’t happened.

 Kindly advise when I should expect my package.

Regards
Maria

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1217293