Subject: Ticket Assigned - Re: Refund of money- order no-9779776360
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 05:21:16 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Re: Refund of money- order no-9779776360 Reminder!!!!!
I didn't get my payment yet.....

On Sat, 23 May 2020, 2:09 pm Ârøñ Töm Ålêx, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Kind Attn : Splash Team
>
>
>
> With reference to my conversation with the customer care on 23.05.2020 , I
> would like to inform you that , on   25/ 04 / 2020  I have made an purchase
> online of AED 708/-  through Splash app, after purchasing I came to know
> that there will be no exchange on the items with ongoing current situation
> , due to no exchange on the products and since it was an clothing, I have
> cancelled the full order same time and waited for the refund so that I can
> rebook only accessories and not the clothing . After several calls to
> customer care they informed me that, they received the products back from
> Aramex on 14th May,2020 and the refund amount will be done in 7 days, so
> far I haven’t received any call of assurance from splash team not even my
> refund money as you may know  Dhs 708 /- is not an small amount. Moreover
> the customer care is not giving any exact information about the refund not
> even transferring the calls to any head of department so that I can speak
> to someone and clear this matter at the earliest, It is disappointing to
> see such ignorance and negligence from the splash customer care. Hence I
> request you to kindly do the needful at the earliest.
>
>
>
>
>
> I am attaching my Order no number -9779776360   which I paid online and
> the Splash mail confirmation of purchase and cancellation and would really
> appreciate if you can look into this matter as a priority and do the
> needful of refund and revert me back on the same mail ID or through a call.
>
>
>

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1180748