Subject: Ticket Assigned - RE: Tax invoice - 21007103495320200321 - Car complaint - CenterPoint - 621764
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 08:41:52 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  RE: Tax invoice - 21007103495320200321 - Car complaint - CenterPoint - 621764 Dear Support,

I have purchased the item from Center point - Abu Dhabi baby shop. TOY car
is defective and when I went for replacement the store was closed so I
cannot replace the Item. 

I have raise the complaint also which is 621764 and Today (17 May 2020 ) I
have returned the Car but Mr. Ganesh is not ready to replace the Car and I
need the replacement of the TOY. 

Kindly do the needful 

 

Tax invoice - 21007103495320200321

Item - 15837995 (big wheel suv 4 fu) - 164 AED

 

With regards,

050-8117838

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Friday, April 3, 2020 2:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Tax invoice - 21007103495320200321 -

Dear Support Team,

I have purchased the item from Center point - Abu Dhabi baby shop It is
defective and store are closed I cannot go replace the Item. 

Please let us know how I will get replacement of the Item

 

Tax invoice - 21007103495320200321

Item - 15837995 (big wheel suv 4 fu) - 164 AED

 

With regards,

Abdul Bari

050-5099452

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1052217