Subject: Ticket Assigned - Shoe Refund/Return
From: Shoemart <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 13:16:20 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Shoe Refund/Return Dear Shoemart,

I placed an order (9770797625) but unfortunately the size I ordered was
incorrect.

I tried to exchange the shoes at Sahara Center but they didn't have any
pumps at the store and they said to visit other branches.

I visited Burjman and City Center on 24-25th March but the shops were
closed and I couldn't exchange them.

Now I thought that I should reorder them and refund the existing order but
when I called the call center they said it's not possible as the time limit
for refund has been ended.

I really want to get these shoes with correct size, can you please do me
a favor in returning these and I will order a new pair of shoes from the
application.

Kindly consider the situation and effort I did and allow me to refund these
shoes please so that I vsn order a new one. I will be hopefully flying back
this week so please try to understand my concern. I will be very thankful
to you.

The shoes are brand new and are never worn.

Your cooperation in this matter is highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Hammad
0509586146

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/665740