Subject: Ticket Assigned - Item broken order #9769859906
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2020 08:16:34 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Item broken order #9769859906 Hi,

I bought a baby bassinet few days ago for my baby and it got broken while
by newborn baby was in. And my baby fell down, which was very dangerous for
him. The bassinet was really low quality and not good at all (see pictures
below).

Can you please come and pick the item back and reimburse my money?!

Thanks,
Souhony

-- 

*Souhony Jean Yves BRAGBO*
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
*Data Science **Senior Manager*
*Business Bay, Dubai, United Arab emirates (UAE)*
*Mobile* : + 971 (0) 56 996 1511
*E-mail* : [email-masked]

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/658071