Subject: Ticket Assigned - [Imp][ Delivery Enquiry]
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 02:02:58 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  [Imp][ Delivery Enquiry] Dear Madam/Sir

May this email finds you healthy and sound amongst this worldly chaos,

I’m writing you this email enquiring about a delivery that I was supposed
to receive yesterday (Thursday). When I tracked the order I found out that
the order wasn’t delivered due to wrong phone number issue. Based on this
fact, I tried multiple times to change the phone number into the right
 one, yet I faced some struggles to do so. So basically the current  phone
number assigned along with the order is incorrect.

I’m  kindly asking you to look up into my enquiry, and see when I should
receive the order since Thursday has already been marked as not-delivered.
Find below the order’s information:

Order number: # 6251272263
The correct number: 0578743522
Additional number: 0508858564
WhatsApp number: +249908756300

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Sincerest regards,
Khalid
-- 
Khalid Tarig,currant KMSA LORE
Khartoum Medical Students’ Association | KMSA
Medical Students’ International Network-SUDAN | MedSIN-SUDAN
Phone No: +249908756300 |
Personal E-mail: [email-masked] [email-masked]

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1861947