Subject: Ticket Assigned - Babyshop online order 9616976977/complaint-incomplete order
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 03:26:28 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Babyshop online order 9616976977/complaint-incomplete order Dear Sir,

*URGENT!!*

We have ordered mamy poko pants XXL size, bundle of 22X6 packet on 23.11,
and today i have received msg from babyshopt that i can collect it from
pickup point i.e. al maya, dubai silicon oasis.

When i went their to pick up i received only one packet of 22 pant i/o 6, i
have called to call center also same time for this and complaint about
this, they said our person will come and collect it and we will refund and
you can reorder it. I said i dont want refund just send me rest 5 packets
thats all.

Please look into the matter and resolve it urgently, i want mamy poko pants
and not refund.

-- 
Thanks & Regards
Shishir Patni

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1749953