Subject: Ticket Assigned - Gift cart expiry_ balance credit
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 08:13:10 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Gift cart expiry_ balance credit Dear Support Team,

Greetings.

End of last year I purchased 1 Centre Point Gift card with 100 AED balance.
Due to Covid-19 & the lockdowns and additional care from my end I was not
able to go shopping. Recently I went shopping on 15th of October which was
successful & when the next time i went on 31st of October, I came to know
the card was expired.

I would like to request you if the card can be activated for one time with
short duration (keeping me updated) or if the balance can be transferred to
a new card (if I will buy).

The image of the card is attached for your reference.

Expecting your kind understanding under the current circumstances & your
sooner response.

Regards,
Tauseef Usmani.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1672036