Subject: Ticket Assigned - Refund Amount not yet received
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 07:25:04 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Refund Amount not yet received To whomever it may concern,

Myself Mufeed Athimannil. This is to inform you that, i had made a
purchase of (Lee Cooper Solid Sneakers with Slip On Closure) on
23-09-2020 at 11:57 AM where the amount was debited from my account,
but the purchase was not confirmed. immediately, i contacted with your
customer care department and they informed me that the amount will
credited your account within 15 days. since today, i didn't received
anything from your side. On last Sunday, i again contacted your
customer care department and they informed me that the amount will be
credited either on Monday nor Tuesday. But, yet not received. Again i
contacted on last Thursday, the reply from them was to send a mail
with the bank transaction ID. So, kindly find below the transaction
ID.
Transaction ID: 054178.
Hope you will solve this issue asap.

Mufeed Athimannil

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1591608