Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return Request of Wrong Product : Order No : 9604446568
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2020 13:33:01 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return Request of Wrong Product : Order No : 9604446568 Hi,

     My Self ABU S, I placed a order on *CENTERPOINT - Order no :
9604446568* . I received wrong PEN. I ordered Unibal Deluxe Roller Pen -* (
UB-177) , *But i received Uniball Eye Pen -
*(UB-157). *

* It's a *different model pen, I have already placed a return request But
there is No update or Call. I have attached a photo of the Pen Received
along.

Please arrange for a return Pick Up.

My Pick Up address is,

Masala Magic Building, flat no - 301,
Opposite Iqbal Restaurant Building,
Hamdan Salam Street,
ABU DHABI

LANDMARK :  Same Building as Panaderia Bakery Building

*Phone : 0562827056*

*Thanks*

*ABU SAJIN S*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1546631