Subject: Ticket Assigned - Deducted Twice from my credit card
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 05:17:04 +0000

Hi Shivani Rani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Deducted Twice from my credit card Dear Team
Please be informed that my credit card was charged twice for the same
order, refer the payment details below.

I have initiated the payment first using your app, but some error message
pop up also I didn't get the payment confirmation hence I tried in the
Centre point website and made the payment again.

I had the same issue in the morning couple of times when I tried making
payment in your app and I received 2 emails from your end about the same
that the amount is not deducted from my account.

For your reference, my order number is 9604601477 also attached the
screenshot of my credit card payment details.

My FAB credit used to get a 10%discount that also not received this time,
my shopping experience was worst this time with Centre point. Requesting
you to check and update me as soon as possible.

Order shipping to
*Near Abushagara Park*
24th Street
King Faizal Street
Al Madina Supermarket Building
Sharjah
Mobile: +971 565231579
Payment Method:

xxxx xxxx xxxx 7554
ZULU SAJ

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/1515570